The word influence has been on the lips of many in the work place. Where it works, influence indeed has the capacity to change fortunes for the company and it’s staff. So when we talk about Influence, what exactly is it?
It has been defined as the capacity to have an effect on the character of another in terms of their development or behavior. The key question then is are you influencing or impacting those within your circles? And in understanding it’s impact, it has been found that influence exists in four forms:
- Negative Influence : This has to do with bringing a reduced impact, that is almost negligible
- Neutral influence : This has to do with impact that cannot be measured through present
- Positive influence: This builds relationships and actively creates visibly positive change
- Life Changing influence: This has to do with impact that is transitional over a period of time
Once you have understood the types of influence and how they affect you, how then do you build influence? For starters, you need to be emotionally curious. This is by making people feel important because the way you influence others will also have a positive effect on you. At the end of the day, everybody wants to be loved, liked and accepted.
Next, you could use confident body language. This is important because it does affect how others see you. Individually, it further affects how you view yourself. Then there is the aspect of audiences being receptive to stories. You too can be a story teller because the common brain is alert to stories.
Through the stories you are able to market yourself and share the benefits you enjoy to the world. Regarding the downside of it, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. On your part, admit your weaknesses because this will help you to establish a good step for the next level. Additionally, you will be better able to understand yourself based on the lessons on vulnerability.
Finally be charismatic which means remove the focus on yourself and share it with others. It is believed that doing so will not only make others feel good about themselves, but even better, you will feel good for being an influencer on others.
So what do you need to do to be influential?
- Have an opinion of your own. This is an indicator of your capacity to make decisions and consider the view of others within the team.
- Develop your networks and personal brand. You are then able to represent yourself and represent the company when the opportunity arises.
- Be relevant by doing your homework and give updates on what is happening.
At the end of the day remember, do not take conflict personally, do not wait to be told what to do and with that, you are on your way to being a great influencer! To influence others, start by sharing.
George Wachiuri: A Leading Entrepreneur, a Published Author, Philanthropist, Youth Empowerment Enthusiast, a Family man and CEO of Optiven Group
Contact Optiven Group: 0790 300 300