How can a Youth Prosper in Entrepreneurship
Sub-Saharan African countries have a proportionally large youth cohort. In 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, half the population is the youth according to UNFPA estimates in 2014. The rate of population growth in these sub-Saharan African countries, is expected to continue until 2015-2020, and potentially beyond, therefore making it difficult to create sustainable development.
Kenya's population growth rate is estimated at 2.11%. A big percentage of the population is the youth at 70%.Unemployment rate is at 40%. There is need to create sustainable development and that's why at Optiven we are undertaking a bold initiative of creating 1 million entrepreneurs.
Here's how this can be achieved:
- Use of talent - Every individual is given a talent and these talents need to be converted to good use. If you are a singer, ;sing more, if a designern; make your own source of livelihood.
- Innovation - The youth can come up with ideas that change the usual way of doing business. We have seen companies like Optiven having ideas that have changed how real estate is done www.optiven.co.ke
- Leadership - You cannot influence others if you are unable to manage yourself first. Get inspired before you inspire others. Lead by example.
- Partnership - It's important to work with others. You cannot prosper or succeed doing things alone. Partnership pays!
- Ability to take risks -Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise. One million entrepreneurs initiative is about taking a risk. Life is about taking risks and creating a formidable change.
If the young people can hold and take the five talents pointersabove, the world will be a better place.
Thoughts by George Wachiuri, Author, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist and CEO - Optiven Ltd